Thursday, May 20, 2010

A change of scenery.

So tell me, which view would you prefer?
My current view...
Or this view?
See that cabin in the second picture? Yeah that my families summer cottage. A place called Clark's Tickle, and where I consider home more than any other place in this world. Since my father was a fisherman, we spent every summer out here throughout my entire life. He doesn't fish anymore, but my folks still spend their summers there, and this summer, so will I!

I applied for a professional Artist grant from the Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council in March, and on Tuesday I found out that I was awarded the grant. This was the first time I have ever applied for anything like this, and I was over the moon about it! In fact I planned on writing about this days ago, but I guess it wasn't till now that I finally realized that I had gotten it. It's a little surreal for sure. :-)

My proposal was basically to be able to go home and paint a series of works based on the culture, and wildlife, intertwined with some of my childhood memories, of the region between Old Fort , QC and Red Bay, in Labrador (since once upon a time, there was only a road connecting us and no one else.) This shore is so incredibly rich in history, and I think that too many people overlook the major historical significance of this region. It is literally the gateway to North America! In my proposal I have listed three shows, one in my home town of St. Paul's River QC, another in Blanc-Sablon QC, (Where the Quebec/Newfoundland Ferry docks), and the third is at Point Amour Lighthouse in Labrador, where I will also be having some art work-shops for the locals. I have never had a work-shop before, so this will be a completely new experience for me. :-) I hope I ace it! Anyhow, thats mostly whats been running through my noggin the last few days. There are so many preparations to do that I don't know where to begin first.


In the meantime, here is another triptych that I did, and sold, this week. I love things in three's. :-P

Lori

8 comments:

  1. Oh Lori, I am SO happy for you! Such amazing news :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nadia! I couldn't agree more, I am so very lucky. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I never had any doubt!!! xoxo Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when are you doing the workshops? Do you want me to plan to go up there then or earlier? Just let me know. Also if you need anything don't hesitated to call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be doing the workshops during the show periods, so that won't be till August for sure. Which is.. of course... berry season. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news Lori, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rusty! I am so freaking excited to go. :-)

    ReplyDelete