Thursday, October 21, 2010

Emotions on paper.

You know how something really unexpected and awful happens in your life, regarding a close friend or relative, or significant other? You get into an argument, or get hurt by someones words, and feel miserable? Well I guess that works for me sometimes, artistically speaking of course.
Yesterday I tried to capture how I was feeling about a situation I have been dealing with the last few days, a very upsetting tear-fest of a situation, that for me could only be described with paper and paint. This is the result! When I usually paint watercolors I normally draw it on a plain piece of paper, then transfer it to watercolor paper, but yesterday I just drew directly onto the watercolor paper itself, and ended up with something that REALLY expressed how I felt. I am so pleased with it, cause it ended up being one of those all-nighter art quests where you can't put it down? Don't you just love it when that happens? :-)

Anyways, I dunno about any of you guys, but do you feel that way when you get emotional? do you have to create just to get it out? Would love to know how fellow artists deal with it using their talents. :-)

Lori

6 comments:

  1. This is lovely and yes, I know how you feel....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to write. I am not a good drawer or painter, but when I am low, I like to write. Either about how I am feeling or just write something that pops into my head. :) It usually makes me feel better afterwards because I can take a bit of a break from it once it is written on paper. I know it is safe in the pages of my journal and that I can come back to it later if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I guess you can consider this blog as my writing relief. even though I SUCK at writing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, I totally understand this... sometimes you can't verbally put into words what you are feeling, but it flows easily into art. Sometimes I write (haha, i suck at writing too... but hey it can be fun if no one else is reading it!), sometimes I draw or paint, sometimes I like to sculpt or make something. Anything just to get those emotions out. This is a beautiful piece, definitely full of emotion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i lori, i am an artist based in New Delhi, jst got back frm an intensive art seminar, yes, in my case i have to draw, i don't paint or play or explore colour so i end up playing with the line, text, sometimes all combined, sometimes it is intense scribbling or few strokes to bring it out and when it is out, i need to walk, walk away or walk a lot, for me walking bymyself a long distance also does it and when i write a letter, or draw the story out, i know i am dead honest, i do not pretend to myself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys. This piece really got it all out for me. It allowed me to take a deep breath at the end of it, and move on. The power to create is such a blessing. :-)

    ReplyDelete